Kristen Takes New York- Part 1

Hey Cats!
So, it’s been a while since I’ve had time to blog, so that’s why I’m writing about my trip to New York almost a month later. Well, technically I’ve had time, but I’ve been doing other things, like crocheting yet another blanket for my house, planning how I’m going to decorate my room on Pinterest, finally cleaning out my closet, stocking my Single Girl Closet, living downstairs for a week because the air conditioner is broken, taking summer classes, and READING THE HUNGER GAMES OMG. I’m obsessed. I finished the first two in like, 4 days, and I’m DYING to read the third one. So once I find it, all hopes of any new crafts are diminished. Sorry I’m not sorry. Anyways, I also was debating on writing a sentimental post about all I’ve learned through my first year of college before I wrote about NYC, but I obviously never got around to that, so I just decided to tell y’all about my wonderful trip to the Big Apple & save my nuggets of wisdom for another day. 😉 Since I can already tell this is going to be super long, I’m going to post it in sections…mainly because I probably won’t want to write it all out at once. So here’s the first part!

The Reason:
I didn’t go to New York for a fun vacation with my friends and/or family, even though I had a total blast and a half. I went with my sorority on a mission trip to help Crossroads Church of Long Island, a small, newer church that was planted from a church in The Woodlands, Texas. There were fourteen of us in all, thirteen girls and Mama Brenda, so needless to say, it was always exciting! I signed up for the trip without knowing who was going, and as the trip grew closer, I realized I was only actually friends with one girl, and had honestly never even met most of the others. However, I became very close with all of the girls really quickly, and I’m glad to have had the opportunity to expand my circle of friends.

The Trip:
Since we had to fly out of Houston at 12, we met in College Station at 6:15 that morning for the 2 hour drive. I had moved out of my dorm and back home four days before, and since it’s a three hour drive to College Station from Tyler, I stayed with one of the girls going on the trip. We rolled out of bed, through McDonald’s for breakfast, and into the mall parking lot right on time. I slept the entire car ride to Houston, so I honestly don’t remember much about that. Once at the airport, we had to meet some of the girls who were meeting us there, and then go through security. Once we were all through with our liquids (less than 3 ounces, of course) in quart baggies and electronic devices turned off and all had our shoes back on, (security is such a pain, if you catch my drift) we naturally headed for Starbucks and then the terminal. Since we were such a large group, we were among the last to board, and caused an all-out ruckus by trying to fit fourteen fairly large carry-ons into the overhead compartments. Once we had that taken care of, we found our seats, watched the safety video, and prepared for takeoff. Now, there’s something you must understand before I continue with my story: The Moss Family Does Not Fly. Ever. We’re roadtrip people. The only other time I’d ever been on an airplane before this was on my class trip to Washington D.C. my junior year of high school. So as the plane started to make its way to the runway, I started to feel a little nervous and sicky. Luckily I was sitting next to one of my Phi Lamb sisters rather than a perfect stranger, but we had met only a few hours before, so I didn’t want to be like, “OMGGGGGG I’m sooooooo nervousmerrmerrrrrrr” and freak her out. So, I calmly stated, “Just so you know, I’m a bit of a nervous flyer…”, and she was very nice and told me it would be fine. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with take-off. Love because you ascend into the air at a diagonal in a giant chunk of metal while being perfectly safe (it’s at this point I typically ruminate over how wonderful technology is and how amazing it is that people can actually do this) and you get to see the clouds outside your window, the land beneath you getting smaller, and it means you’re truly on the way to your destination. Hate because YOU ASCEND INTO THE AIR AT A DIAGONAL IN A GIANT CHUNK OF METAL.THIS IS NOT NATURAL. (it’s at this point I think of what could go horribly wrong and how if God had meant for people to be in the air, He would have equipped us with wings.) And also because my ears pop. I just really don’t like that. Anyways, we make it to our proper altitude, I obtain a ginger ale from the flight attendants, and I watch The Vow on the little tv in front of me. (Which, by the way, is the only Nicholas Sparks movie I don’t find incredibly stupid and unrealistic.) And everything goes smoothly. UNTIL THE LANDING. I don’t know what happened, but as we descend into New Jersey, turbulence makes a grand entrance and monopolizes the rest of the ride. I shouldn’t have been looking out the window, but I was, and that just made me feel more sicky. We were jostled every which way, and by the time we finally make it to the ground, I want to throw up and have a headache. But I’m also hungry. So, I get a Jamba Juice and we all go wait for the pastor from Crossroads to pick us up. And yes, I know what you’re thinking: I’m in Jersey, so naturally, I kept my eyes open for my favorite Housewives, but I never saw them.

Morgan & I after landing in Newark!

I think that’s all I’m going to write for tonight, but tomorrow I’ll post about our first two days in Long Island!
That’s all for right meow 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s