Each semester when I come home, I have one week that’s filled with doctor’s appointments, and that week is upon us. With the exception of the eye doctor (HATE that puff of air business, and I can’t tell you the last time I could read the smallest line- like, face it, I’m blind, just adjust my prescription and “oh I have to drive myself home, I can’t get my eyes dilated today SARS”), I actually don’t mind all of these appointments- it gives me something to do with my time. My favorite is the dentist appointment, mainly because I’ve had the same hygienist since I was in high school, and we’re besties. She loves to ask me all about my life, and I love to tell her in between teeth scrapings. All I want is for everyone to be as excited to see me as my dental hygienist is every six months. I digress.
Also, remember WorkIt Wednesdays? Yeah, I barely remember them myself. It was supposed to be a weekly series on fitness and a healthy lifestyle. Oops. The good thing is, I kept going to the gym! Until I came home for Christmas and just found my way to the track only yesterday. Oops again. But it definitely felt good to start getting back into my same routine!
I like to go to the gym by myself- it’s really great “me time”, a luxury I require large doses of. Very large. However, since I’m by myself, I need music to keep me entertained and motivated, and to drown out the girl talking on her phone whilst walking on the track. Depending on how I’m feeling and what I’m doing, I have a few different playlists for my workouts. Today, I’m going to share my all-time fave, The Power Playlist. This is what I’m listening to most days, but especially while I’m in the weight room, or when I’m feeling extra energetic. Also, disclaimer: my taste in music is a little lame, so please don’t laugh. But I’m hoping that you will find a few new tunes (or old faves) to add to your workout playlist!
1. Boom Clap by Charli XCX- this is great for warming up and stretching, and sometimes the first walking lap around the track.
2. Fancy by Iggy Azalea– A personal fave for the transition from walking to running. It makes me feel like the hair flip emoji girl. Except I’m not in the fast lane, I’m def in the “slow jog” lane.
3. I Can Transform Ya by Chris Brown– Old, but this was in my Songfest routine, and I’ve always loved it. This is for when you hit your stride.
4. Yeah! by Usher– For obvious reasons.
5. Break the Rules by Charli XCX- this is for when the track is crowded and you have to be a little rude and break through that group of girls walking four abreast. MOVE PLZ.
6. Survivor by Destiny’s Child– for when you thought it would be over by now but it WON’T STOP and you have 3/4 lap left.
7. Come & Get It by Selena Gomez- for your water break in between running and the weight room.
8.Circus by Britney Spears– for when you first get to the weight room and it’s really crowded, and you’re not exactly sure how to use that new machine, but you’re going to do it anyways. #bye
9. Started From the Bottom by Drake– for when you’re adding a little more weight to the seated row machine, or when you want to pretend to be a university athlete.
10.Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani– for when all the ab mats are occupied and some jerk is laying down scrolling through Instagram. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
11. Piece of Me by Britney Spears– rounds 1-2 of abs. Do you want a piece of me and this medicine ball? That’s what I thought.
12. Work B**ch by Britney Spears- for the extra set you’ve talked yourself into, because if Britney says keep going, you keep going.
What are some of your favorite songs to sweat to? Let me know!
That’s all for meow!
For more Sweet Cats!, follow along at: