I hope your week is off to a great start! I think it’s going to be a loooong week, but hopefully there will be pizza and other wonderful things at the end. Speaking of pizza, I may as well re-name this blog the Pizza Princess because I’ve been posting a new pizza recipe so often! It’s just that it’s so fun and easy to come up with new recipes, and obviously I have to share them with you. This weekend, my friends from college came to stay with me, and we made a delicious Mexican pizza for dinner Saturday night. It was so fun to cook with my friends, and the fact that it was delicious made it even better. This pie is very filling, good for a crowd. and reminds me of a flat enchilada. SO. GOOD. So enough chit chat, here’s the recipe.
Here’s what you need:
-1 pizza crust (refrigerated, you know my rules)
-1 cup salsa
-1 lb hamburger meat
-1/2 of a purple onion, diced
-1 roma tomato, diced
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro
-1/4 cup frozen corn
-8 oz. queso fresco
-1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-1/4 cup sour cream
Here’s what you do:
1. First, brown the hamburger meat in a skillet. You can season it with taco seasoning if you’d like, but we forgot to buy taco seasoning, so we poured a little salsa in the meat and added garlic and onion powder. Honestly, my friend Katie cooked and seasoned the meat, so I don’t really know what she did. So use your discretion. Make it taste like tacos.
2. Next, preheat the oven according to the directions on your pizza crust. I would suggest baking it a bit before you add the toppings, because our crust was a little undercooked in the middle!
3. Chop all your vegetables except for the avocado, and defrost the frozen corn in the microwave for 45-60 seconds. Set this aside.
4. Spread the salsa on the crust. We used a chunkier sauce, which made it more like pizza sauce.
5. Then, spread half of the meat on top of the sauce, sprinkle half of the tomatoes, corn, onions, and cilantro, and crumble about 1/4 of the queso fresco and cheddar on top.
6. Add a second layer of toppings, starting with the meat, then veggies, then cilantro and the majority of the cheese.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the crust is cooked and the cheese is melted.
8. Drizzle the sour cream on top. We did this by microwaving the sour cream for 30-45 seconds to make it a little thinner. You could also put it in a plastic bag and cut the tip off and pipe it on like frosting,
9. Finally, slice the avocado and space evenly across the pizza.
10. Cut into slices and share with your friends!
It’s the perfect combination of my two favorite foods: tacos and pizza! Give it a try- I promise you’ll love it!
That’s all for meow!
For more Sweet Cats!, follow along at: