I’m getting a bit of a late start this week with the blog posts-sorry! I had every intention of posting on Monday, but I got home later than I had hoped on Sunday night, and it just didn’t happen. Also, HEB was closed for Easter, which honestly sent me into sheer panic. I had to go to Kroger and could not find brussels sprouts and nearly lost it. But I digress.
Today, I’m sharing one of my latest breakfast favorites with you. I got on an avocado toast kick a few weeks ago, and one Saturday morning when I had some extra time, I decided to kick it up a bit. Take it to the next level. Pretend I am the Pioneer Woman (that happens every time I cook, but whatever). I made an egg-in-a-hole, and smeared avocado on top. Yaaaas.
Here’s what you need:
-2 slices of bread. You can definitely use plain sandwich bread, but I bought whole-grain seedy bread from the bakery section, because it’s extra delicious.
-2 eggs (or one per slice of bread if you’re making less or more!)
-1/2 avocado, mashed
-Sriracha to taste
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. First, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and either melt a tablespoon of butter or spray with cooking spray.
2. While the butter is melting, prepare the bread by cutting out a hole in the center of the slice. You can brown the excess or just go ahead and eat it (that’s what I do).
3. Next, place the bread in the skillet. I like to put one side down and then flip it so each side is buttery!
4. Then, break an egg into the hole of each slice of bread. It will probably ooze out of the edges, but that’s okay!
5. Let the egg cook for a while, then flip to cook the other side! Warning-this is difficult and messy, but if I can do it, you definitely can too! Just use your largest spatula and both hands.
6. Cook until the whites are set, flipping again if necessary.
7. After the eggs are done, in a small bowl mash up half an avocado. I use about 1/2 of an avocado per two slices.
8. Smear a thick but even layer of avocado on each piece of egg toast. Be generous, avocado is the good fat! Apparently.
9. Drizzle with sriracha for a kick! Another option is crushed red pepper, but I love how the sriracha literally sets my lips on fire.
I love the combination of the creamy egg yolk, crisp bread, and smooth avocado. So yum! Give this a try the next time you’re craving a healthy, savory breakfast, and if you do, let me know how you like it!
That’s all for meow!
For more Sweet Cats!, follow along at: